One annoying thing I’ve noticed in building my script compiler is the way the use of generic collections tends to bloat up the size of your EXE. I use generics for a lot of things; a compiler uses lists, stacks and lookup tables (dictionaries) all over the place. When I was building it with DeHL, the compiler plus a very simple test frontend compiled into a 36 MB behemoth of a binary, and a quick look at the mapfile shows that the vast majority of that was DeHL collections. Now that I’ve switched to the more simplified Collections library, it “only” takes 23 MB, a savings of about 33%. But that’s still huge. There has to be a better way.
Archive for February 2011
Over the past couple weeks, I’ve been working on refining and testing my RTTI generation and the scripting system I’ve been building on top of it, which I’ve decided to call RTTI Script. I think I’m finally starting to get something ready for public consumption. I set up a Google Code repository this morning for RTTI Script, but so far all it contains is the RTTI generation code. The actual compiler and script executor still need some work. Continue reading ‘RTTI Generation code now available’ »